29382 views
The Spanish Steps form one of Rome’s most carefully staged urban views. From Piazza di Spagna, the travertine staircase rises past curved landings to the twin towers of Trinità dei Monti. Turn around near the top and the same composition works in reverse: the rooftops and straight line of Via dei Condotti open below you.
The monument’s Italian name, Scalinata di Trinità dei Monti, is more precise than its English nickname. This was conceived as a ceremonial link between a busy square and the church above it. Its curves, changes of direction, and broad landings matter as much as the climb.

Contents
ToggleThe staircase leads to a French church and was financed through a French bequest. A Roman architect supplied the final design. The word “Spanish” comes from the square at its foot. Piazza di Spagna took its name from the Spanish Embassy to the Holy See, which occupied a palace nearby.
These competing foreign and papal interests help explain why the project advanced so slowly. France regarded Trinità dei Monti and the approach to it as an important presence in Rome. The papal government had its own ideas about the design and the symbols that could appear on it. A proposal involving an equestrian statue of Louis XIV proved especially difficult to reconcile with papal authority.
The final staircase avoided that political provocation. Look closely at the stone markers and you can still find the compromise expressed through heraldry: French fleurs-de-lis appear alongside eagles associated with Pope Innocent XIII’s Conti family.
Plans for improving the steep approach to Trinità dei Monti existed by the sixteenth century. In 1579, Pope Gregory XIII acquired land for a staircase, but the idea remained unrealized. A major opportunity came after the French diplomat Étienne Gueffier left money for the project in 1660. Political disagreement and competing designs then delayed construction for decades.
Pope Clement XI called an architectural competition in 1717. Work finally began under Innocent XIII in 1723, following the design of Francesco De Sanctis. The staircase was completed in 1726, during the pontificate of Benedict XIII.

De Sanctis arranged the ascent as a sequence of 11 ramps rather than one straight flight. Some sections divide, then meet again at broad landings. Concave and convex lines guide the eye upward, while the side ramps open like pincers around the central axis. These ideas recall earlier designs associated with the workshop of Gian Lorenzo Bernini, but De Sanctis turned them into a complete piece of urban architecture.
Sources often give conflicting totals for the individual steps. The disagreement comes partly from different ways of counting landings, changes of level, and the final approach to the church. The number adds little to the experience.
Count the ramps instead.
Begin with the Fontana della Barcaccia in Piazza di Spagna. Pietro Bernini created the low boat-shaped fountain from 1626 to 1629, almost a century before the staircase. Its sunken profile responds to the modest water pressure available at this point of the Acqua Virgo aqueduct.

From the fountain, the staircase first appears symmetrical. The effect changes as you climb. Side flights turn away, balustrades conceal parts of the next level, and each landing offers a slightly different view of the square. This movement prevents the church from feeling detached from the street below.
Near the top, inspect the repeated stone ornaments instead of rushing directly to the viewpoint. The eagles and fleurs-de-lis record the papal and French interests behind the project. Above them stands Trinità dei Monti, founded under French royal patronage at the end of the fifteenth century and still associated with France.

The building to the right of the staircase when viewed from the square is the Keats-Shelley House. The English poet John Keats died there in 1821. Today it holds a museum devoted to Keats, Percy Bysshe Shelley, Lord Byron, and the wider Romantic circle. It gives the piazza a literary connection that is easy to overlook amid the shops and crowds.
The most distinctive seasonal display usually appears from mid-April to mid-May, when pots of white, pink, and lilac azaleas line the ramps. Rome has maintained this spring tradition since the twentieth century. The exact dates depend on the flowering cycle, so the plants should be treated as a seasonal event rather than permanent decoration.
The stone itself has required repeated conservation. A complete restoration was carried out in 1995. Another major campaign began in 2015 and finished in September 2016. Conservators cleaned and repaired the travertine, improved drainage, restored the historic lamps, and installed new lighting.

Early morning gives the clearest view of De Sanctis’s geometry. After dark, the lighting separates the balustrades and landings from the church facade and surrounding streets. The busiest period is usually the middle of the day, when the staircase functions as a main pedestrian route as well as a monument.
The staircase was already internationally known before 1953, but Roman Holiday fixed its modern image. In the film, Princess Ann, played by Audrey Hepburn, eats gelato on the steps while Joe Bradley, played by Gregory Peck, joins her. The scene uses the movement of the square as a natural background and makes the monument feel like part of everyday Rome.

That short sequence has influenced tourist photographs for generations. It also explains why the Spanish Steps remain closely tied to cinema even though many lists of supposed screen appearances repeat scenes that were filmed elsewhere in Rome.
The appearance in Roman Holiday is the best known, but the staircase and Piazza di Spagna have appeared in films from several genres and periods. The role of the location changes from one production to another. Directors use it as a meeting place, a recognizable Roman backdrop, or part of a wider route through the city.
Piazza di Spagna works well as the start of a compact walk through the historic center. Via dei Condotti runs west from the fountain, while the Trevi Fountain is about ten minutes away on foot through the streets east of the square.
For a greener route, climb the staircase, turn toward Pincio Terrace, and continue into the Villa Borghese Gardens. This direction shows how the staircase connects the dense streets below with the elevated promenades above them.
For a greener route, climb toward Trinità dei Monti, turn toward Pincio Terrace, and continue into the Villa Borghese Gardens. This direction shows how the staircase connects the dense streets below with the elevated promenades above them.
I would allow about 20 minutes for the staircase and Piazza di Spagna, longer if you plan to enter Trinità dei Monti or the Keats-Shelley House. The useful question is where to stand. View the whole composition beside the Barcaccia, climb slowly enough to see the heraldic details, then look back from the upper landing before continuing through the city.
Author: Artur Jakucewicz
This website uses cookies. For more info read the cookies policy
Rome.us © 2026. Created with love by Roman experts and guides.